HomeHomeHome

Sunday, September 13, 2015

adoption isn't "fun"

I am apart of many adoption groups online. I like to learn perspectives and share my own. It is a great way to gain and give support. Tonight I saw something that sadly, I have seen before. The scenario goes like this, a person chooses to get pregnant on purpose so that they can place for adoption. They are using their own eggs and they are finding some stranger's sperm or using artificial insemination, so they can place a child for adoption. Tonight's situation was a family member doesn't want to be a mom but wants her legacy to live on, so she is going to get pregnant via artificial insemination to then turn around an place.

People. I get it. We all have our own choices and decisions, but ADOPTION IS NOT FUN.

It isn't something that anyone should want to go through. It isn't pure joy and happiness. It isn't an easy peasy quick handoff. It is pain, emotion, debilitating grief, and sadness. Are there happy parts that can happen? Yes. Is it a great option if you are in an unplanned pregnancy and don't see marriage, abortion, or single parenting as an option? Yes. Is it something I would wish on my worst enemy? NO!

To clarify before you start commenting on my page about surrogacy... The situation proposed above is NOT surrogacy. Surrogacy involves someone else's DNA, Surrogacy is contracts and formalities. The surrogate mother does not have the legal right to change her mind. The surrogate mother does not make choices for the child once born. Surrogacy is business. It is a great option for many people and I am not in any way shape or form saying surrogacy is bad, but surrogacy is not adoption. I repeat. Surrogacy is NOT adoption.

Adoption is finding yourself in a pregnancy you are not prepared for. You do not see abortion, parenting, or marriage as an option for yourself, so you choose adoption. It isn't some flippant decision you make on a whim. It is a big f#%^*%$#! deal.

I love adoption in my life now. I have learned to live with it as a new normal. I wouldn't take back my decision for the world because my birth daughter is happy and well loved and I was not at a place where I could parent her. I am not however, pro-adoption. I am pro informed choice. Inform yourselves and others that adoption is an option, and what it entails.

People need to understand that adoption isn't fun. It actually kinda sucks sometimes. Adoption is love, open adoption is great, but it isn't fun.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Adoption Blogger Interview Project 2013